Monday, April 06, 2009

Opening Day: Snow Flakes in St. Louis

Snow fell pretty hard this morning. What I didn't see as I looked out the 2nd story window of our office building was that it was melting on impact. An hour later, it had stopped. That's snow in April, I guess. There's also some kind of freeze warning going on right now, either tonight or last night I can't remember which.

I was a bit worried about a snow/rain-out, but by noon that seemed unlikely. I had arranged to work early in the morning so I could go to Opening Day, Cardinals vs. Pirates, first pitch just after 3 pm CDT. I hit the road around 1:15 or so, headed as I always do for the Hanley Station Metro-Link stop.

I should know better: On Opening Day, you either get to the Metro-Link about 4 hours before game time, or you make alternate plans. I forgot this Opening Day fact, and I don't improvise well when trying to get somewhere. The only other Metro-Link station I know how to get to I missed the exit for because there's been a lot of renovation around that exit. So, there I was flying down I-70 toward downtown St. Louis, trying to think how to get to other Metro-Link stations and coming up empty, well... to make a long story short, I did a nice roundabout tour of downtown St. Louis, with a side trip to Illinois just for laughs, and finally ended up parking at the Kiel Center parking garage and walking to Busch from there. I missed the parade, but I didn't miss the first pitch. I'd feel more penitent, except the Cardinals are only my #2 team. Still, it was kinda of a lame performance on my part.

It was 38 degrees, but I'd love to know what the wind chill was. Until about the 8th inning, maybe 5 snow flakes fell on the park, plus 2 rain drops. After that, we started getting a handful of flakes/drops per minute. If you heard it snowed today in St. Louis, nah, not really. But it sure was cold.

While I wasn't paying attention, apparently Rick Ankiel grew a mustache.

Adam Wainwright threw 40+ pitches in the first two innings. His counterpart, Paul Maholm didn't even throw 20 to get his first 6 outs. The Cardinals squandered 2 out doubles in each of those innings. Then in the 3rd, the Redbirds used 5 singles to score only 2 runs and I was concerned. Every single was station-to-station, partly because they were all hit hard and right at the outfielder, and partly because the Cardinal starting lineup maybe didn't have enough speed to score from 2nd.

But Wainwright settled down and had two innings with pitch counts in the single digits.

A guy sitting behind me in the RF Bleachers was telling his buddies about a conversation he had with a beer vendor: "Hey, the beer is smaller this year!" "Yeah, but the price didn't go up." Dude: Yes it did. Do the math.

In the 5th, Adam Wainwright stroked a double off Maholm, but was stranded. In the 6th Wainwright faced Maholm, and for reasons passing understanding he walked him on 4 straight pitches. I don't know if he felt guilty or he wanted to make Maholm run the bases like he had to. The former makes no sense, of course, but in 38 degree weather with a stiff wind, I'm thinking the latter makes no sense either.

Santa Claus was in the house, that's how wintry it seemed. Yep, sitting right behind the Cardinal dugout.

Contests: The traditional Clarkson Eye-Care quiz was the kind of lame, lame contest Busch Stadium III has been known for at least half the time. The first clue was "MidSummer Classic" Say no more, a toddler knows the answer. The woman sitting next to me said, "Even I know the answer to that one." Her words, not mine. I don't remember the 2nd clue, but it was equally obvious. The 3rd clue was "4 times in St. Louis". See, Busch Stadium like to sacrifice challenge for theme sometimes. It really is lame. The other contest is a new one -- for Busch Stadium that is: Wheel of Fortune. So here's the board they gave the guy: ___NIN_ _AY __ __SCH _TADI__. Tell me your grandmother couldn't get that one. Go on, tell me. And then to top it off, 3 or 4 lunatics (guys) danced topless on the batters' backdrop in CF between the two sets of bleachers. Like this is a football game or something.

Something weird looking: A guy wearing a Cardinal T-shirt with the number 43 on the back and the name "YAN". I assume that refers to Esteban Yan, former Cardinal reliever (I think? Didn't he spend about 15 minutes with St. Louis one year), but the name did look like it was sewn on after the shirt was made, so who knows?

Since it was getting really cold in the 8th inning, Ryan Ludwick obligingly launched one deep into the LF bleachers (measured at a distance of 417 feet), then Chris Duncan reached first, to be replaced by pinch-running speedster Joe Thurston (O Joe, where were you in the 3rd inning?) who EASILY went from 1st to 3rd on Skip Schumaker's single. Now that's speed. I asked for a deep fly ball next. What we got looked too shallow to RF, but Moss made one of the worst throws I've ever seen and Thurston scored (he may have scored anyway). At first I thought Moss was trying to double off Schumaker, but he threw it in the direction of home, not first. If I recall correctly, the 1st basemen was the cut-off man, so maybe he was just trying to hit him with the throw. What he hit instead was the turf, not once but twice. Skip skipped over the ball back to the bag, and the ball ended up rolling in to the catcher after Thurston had already made it to the dugout.

Jason Motte, welcome to the 9th inning. First pitch was immediately deposited into the left-center gap, putting a runner on 2nd. Jason got a couple of outs, but mixed in with that, he became the 2nd Cardinal pitcher to walk a Pirate pitcher, and he hit a guy. Also a former Tampa Bay Ray by the name of Eric Hinske dumped one into shallow left field. So, with the bases loaded, Jack Wilson stepped up to the plate. I thought, OK, Jason was just toying with the lefties until a righty came up. He quickly worked the count to 0-2, and then he must have laid a fat one in there, and the next thing I knew, Rick Ankiel was watching it bounce off the wall. 3 more runs in, Pirates up 6-4, moans and groans all around, Cardinal fans acting like the season is over (when the Pirates finally made the 3rd out, a medium sized chorus of boos rained down on the home team as they headed toward their dugout). Albert got his 3rd hit of the day, but was stranded at first, and Jason Motte knows the pain of a blown save that turns into a loss for the team. Some fans acted like that was still Izzy out there: "Time to find a new closer!"

I wonder if Khalil Greene can handle the cleanup spot behind Pujols. Ankiel was on first one inning, and after a passed ball he scampered to 2nd, and sure enough, Pittsburgh completed the intentional walk to Albert.

No comments: